Monday, December 1, 2008

It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas

There are certainly a whole lot of people complaining about it. This is one of my pet hates! GRRRR it makes me very angry. Christmas is the time of year when we pine for family, tradition and look to the beginnings of the Holy Family - a birth is always exciting and full of hope and new beginnings.

I try to put meaning into Christmas with the hope that meaning is created for my family and for those around me. Sometimes it works and sometimes I have to roll my eyes (If only I could stop there but, I can't). I feel like I am some Santa appointed elf whose mission is to point out how much meaning Christmas does have and actually it is up to the person concerned to put their own meaning into Christmas.

but...I LOVE CHRISTMAS! This is the time of year where the lack of discipline in my everyday existence is pushed aside for a regime of timelines, schedules and jolly tasks. It all starts the previous year when I scour the post Christmas sales for the ultimate decorations that my tree must have! This task determines the colour scheme for the following year...I continue the theme to the wrapping and that it also purchased in the sales. My preference is quality paper (this year pink) usually 7 metres long - This gives me the confidence that I will not run short. Decorations are stored in clear boxes according to colour range and precious decorations are individually wrapped in tissue paper - this is a great feat of organisation for someone who never knows where her shoes are.

It begins on November 29 or 30 - I have two birthday in that week so as soon as birthdays are over, it begins - The season to be really jolly and good tidings to ALL mankind. The tree is hoisted out and while we put National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation on the tele, we begin. Lights first then decorations are layered, baubles are hung on the inside of the tree - creating a feeling of fullness and depth. Special decorations are saved for the outer fronds of the tree. Lastly the angel is placed on the top of the tree by the youngest member of our family. He has grown 'cause we used to have to lift him up to do it. While I gently unwrap each bauble and suggest the location the boys are repeating different parts of the movie that make them laugh 'shitter's full', 'lotta sap - lotta sap', 'Clarke, Audrey will see it later, her eyelids are frozen over'....and variopus others. Watch it! You will love it!

The nativity purchased in Amalfi in unwrapped and someone hides the Three wise men in a not so obvious location so they can begin their journey travelling around the room to the nativity. On a daily basis we sit in the loungeroom trying to spot where the three wise men are and then if spotted we move them to another location...this activity goes on til Christmas eve.

The house is decorated, I have garland with lights for over the entrance to the lounge, a wreath for the front door, a wreath for the kitchen ( I sneakily have left this up all year as I just love it!), the book- T'was the Night Before Christmas, assorted candles and angels, bowls and vases full of small baubles in the desired colour scheme...The house really looks lovely at Christmas.

This year I am recycling and so the tree is sull of most of my colours, pinl, lime green, silver, purple and a hint of blue - blue although definitely not a Christmas colour is just a hint of me. Now that the decorating is done...The season begins.

Cardmaking and posting. I do like to have these in the post Nov 30 to arrive in boxes by Dec 1. This has been delayed this year (as my Boys are traveling OS and I have had to neglect my Christmas tasks in order to assist their preparations). This week rest assured I will be writing messages of hope and joy to all that I love and hold fond thoughts of.

I love Christmas craft! So this year I have covered the letters P-E-A-C-E and gorgeous scrapbooking papers and I will blu tack to my wall near the tree. NOICE DIFFERENT UNUSUAL. I also have the letter for b-e-l-i-e-v-e...that may be my project to keep me busy while the boys are away. I also have made a countdown calendar, a bit boring for some of my talented friends as it is really just a painted tree, covered in papers and then the numbers hung...but I love it!

I cook cook cook! Gingerbread houses and assorted treats. Christmas is when there are lollies always in our house and kids know they are not allowed to eat them. This year I am going to make my friend Karen's lolly pizzas - chocolate melted into a patty case and then layered with chopped up snakes, marshmallow and other assorted goodies.

I will keep you posted on what I am up to...but I really should be getting ready to go for coffee with my lovely husband (who got into Art School! and will be studying next year!) and my baby Boy. They are heading to Italy for 3 weeks to catch up with No.1 Son. Bon Voyage Treasures have fun living La Dolce Vita! Ciao x

1 comment:

foxylady said...

WOW WOW WOW I feel so scooge like and yet I too love Christmas. You really go above and beyond. I do remember the Christmas you gave us a gingerbread house..one of the lovliest things I have ever been given aand will always treasure the memory...well ba hum bug..off to look at my one lot of decorations that I bought the yr I went to Canberra for a visit..pink and purple..the last 7 years..
O and I can sense a time of white sheets..choccys and a mozzie net..am I right