Sunday, November 16, 2008

Contemplation

On Friday while listening to my local ABC radio station, I heard that a Trappist Monk was in town teaching Contemplative Meditation. WOW!, this is exactly what I have been searching for! Well I tell a lie really, because if I think of myself I know that I am as deep as the froth on a flat white... (this is not a new concept to my pals) but... contemplative meditation this could be the thing to transport me to real depth...authentic meaning.
So...I ditched my gym appointment (too frothy) I was on a quest for meaning! I arrived at St Benedict's exactly on time, surrendered myself to the task ahead. A quick glance around showed that I was the third youngest participant looking for deeper meaning. In fact my age 45 plus the two obviously younger members 20 somethings - gee they were attaining enlightenment at an early age...(they still had zits!) 120 people in the audience all with the average age of 82 & 1/2 plus us three 'youngies' that was a total average age of 81 years. I asked myself 'WHY is it just the oldies looking to contemplate meditatively?"
But failed to answer that question...
It was reasonably interesting but really I could have learned all I came for in the last hour and a half...I had been there since 10am and listen to this kindly contemplative rabbit on...

Then it happened! Right after lunch! Well more like 45 minutes after the lunch break it was time for our own 20 minutes of contemplative meditation.

I steeled myself..someone had switched my chair in the break and my feet no longer touched the floor (could have been the Nun beside me..but I didn't want to be all accusatory), I was at a Christian function afterall. I sat forward so my feet touched the floor...grounding me (this wasn't a part of it but I thought I would be more comfortable. OK so straight back, good posture feet grounded I was ready. I repeated my word over and over again n my mind - it was meant to be a 1 syllable work but I could only think of two words four syllables. I hoped this would work regardless. The idea was to say the word over and over again radiating God's love and then receiiving. I kept repeating my word over and over. A passing truck distracted me...so back to the words, I thought I needed a pee, back to the words...then I think I got in the zone. After 14 or so minutes I think I got it and then had enough. Good work Father...You taught me something! There was a rhythmic... noise very melodical, it was disturbing my enlghtened state. The words weren't working anymore. I gingerly opened one eye...it wasn't time yet but I was enlightened. I looked around all the oldies were still doing it...God on them and the noise was growing louder and louder, it seemed amplified. I cocked my head to one side and caught a glimpse of the Enlightened Father...he was slumped forward toward the microphone and seemed to be...snoring! I grimaced OH NO! This was not the place to laugh innapropriately, I sort of caught the ye of the girl next to the Nun next to me...we smiled...we made motions at each other trying not to disturb those at peace around us...It just got louder and louder, by this stage we could no longer make eye contact or I was going to lose it completely. At the 35th minute the Father woke with a hUrmmph and started saying the Our Father...very funny!
I am feeling a little deeper.

3 comments:

foxylady said...

No doubt about it Donna as deep as that froth on the flat white... but very proud of you I would so have lost it..LOL

Kirsty said...

I would say you have attained at least Cappuccino status!!!

Thats hilarious!

foxylady said...

UPDATE Donna...come on