Sunday, November 9, 2008

Lemon syrup disaster

Today is the day of The Princess' baby shower. I thought it would be simple whip my amazing Greek Lemon Syrup Cake and WOW! 'em. Unfortunately I haven't made it for quite a while and I failed to double the quantities of the recipe but somehow doubled the quantitiy of the lemon syrup you pour on the cake when cooked...The result is sticky lemon syrup awash all over my kitchen, om my phone, in my fruit bowl all over my glad wrap and a sorry example of a cake swimming in syrup looking like a used sponge. I used to be good at this entertaining malarky! I think it is just me and syrup 'cause yesterday I cooled the sugar syrup mix I needed to make the portugese tarts and made a whole pot of toffee. Searching the 'net for a recipe for scone pinwheels I found a recipe for savoury saveloys EEEWWWW! Scarpettta has just called with her tales of blue iced cupcakes going horribly wrong...or looking like sea anenomes. Still thinking positive that this small soiree for 30 or so will go off deliciously and without a hitch...second thoughts I think we should hit the champagne early!

2 comments:

foxylady said...

Hey I just got back from a baby shower. A lovely lunch at a rstaurant. Champagne gifts and NO cooking $25 a head. Way worth it..

Kirsty said...

When in doubt serve alcohol...and LOTS of it;-)

Hope it all went well!!!